|Best potato gratin, served!|
- 700 g potatoes, peeled, washed and sliced very finely (about 4/5 potatoes- I like to use the good old rooster variety)
- Garlic cloves (to taste - for me, at least 5)
- Salt, pepper and freshly grated nutmeg
- 250 ml cream/milk mixture - I go with 150 ml cream and 100 ml milk
- 2 tbsp. butter
- A good grating of hard cheese e.g. Cheddar/Parmesan
- Fresh herbs e.g. rosemary, thyme (if available)
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C/375 F/gas mark 5.
- In an ovenproof baking dish, sprinkle the garlic, salt and pepper and add in the milk/cream mixture and the butter.
- Place the dish in the oven to heat up and after about 3 - 5 minutes, when the milk is bubbling at the edges, remove it from the oven.
- Carefully place your potato slices into the dish and top with some more ground pepper and salt, a good grating of fresh nutmeg, a sprinkling of herbs and plenty of grated cheese.
- Cover the dish with tinfoil and pop it in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and discard the tinfoil, if it seems a little low on liquid, drizzle a little more milk/cream on top.
- Put the dish back in the oven, uncovered, to finish off for another 20 - 30 minutes until golden and crispy.
- Done. Now all you need to do is, devour!
|Top - Cheese overload, ready for the oven; Bottom photos - Best potato gratin, ready to be eaten|